WELCOME TO OUR SELC DISTRICT LWML WEBSITE!
The SELC District LWML is one of the two non-geographic Districts in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS). Historically, the Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELC) was organized in the United States in 1902 by a group of Slovak immigrants. In 1971, the SELC was accepted into the LCMS as a non-geographic District. In the 1980s, due largely to the work of Ann Bajus, the SELC District women became a part of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. In 1987, we became a non-geographic District of LWML. “SELC” now stands for Showing Everyone Life in Christ by Showing Everyone the Love of Christ.”
Our SELC District LWML is divided into three zones: the Eastern Zone, the Central Zone and the Western Zone. The Eastern Zone includes SELC LWML societies in New Jersey, Connecticut, Eastern Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Central Zone societies are all located in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania. The Western Zone societies are located in Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Each Zone meets once or twice a year for Zone Rallies, and the District LWML meets biennially in Convention that rotates geographically among the three Zones. There are currently 21 societies in the District.
Mites are collected within the District to fund National LWML and District LWML Mission Grant Projects. Our mites have funded all types of projects at home and abroad, including, for example the Lutheran Church Charities Comfort Dogs, and many missionaries around the world. Within our District some of our mites have gone to purchase church signs, altar ware, paraments, handbells, hymnals, and media and other equipment for preschools and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. Our District LWML often supports the Lutheran Haven in Oviedo, Florida, our SELC District Retirement Center. In all these matters we are “serving the Lord with gladness.”